Opinion Polls ***-
Financial Times 18/02/2013,
50% out-- 33% stay; -
ICM Sunday Telegraph 18/05/2013,
46% out --- 30% stay;-
42% EU bad thing -26% EU good thing
51% out but 89% of the 17-24 year olds would stay;-
long list of Polls here
[two thirds down the article]
EUROPE - The Looming Crisis
If a referendum were to be held tomorrow would the UK would pull out of the
EU?*?* It would leave many of us in the mire.
We live in Europe because EU treaties allow us to do so. We have no fundamental right to move to France, Spain, Cyprus, Italy etc. This 'freedom of movement' comes from being a citizen of the EU. That
freedom is being criticised in Britain. If the UK leaves the EU then what?
· Free Movement. You would not enjoy the automatic Right to move or live anywhere
in the EU.
· Healthcare! You would lose the right to free or subsidised healthcare. Anyone with an existing health problem would never be able to afford medical insurance which covered the pre-existing
· Working Age? You would no longer have an automatic right to work. You might have to apply for work permits.
· State Pension annual increases. They
would no longer be guaranteed.
· As for the Winter Fuel Payment - we receive the WFP because European Union laws require such 'non-contributory old-age benefits' are paid without discrimination- just as they are to those who live in the UK. If
Britain leaves the EU, those laws cease to be applicable and then such ‘benefits’ would stop for all the 450,000 pensioners in the EU beyond Britain
Some say the vote
and being represented in the British Parliament is not important and in our campaign we should concentrate on fair payment of the WFP They are 100% wrong. If Britain
votes in the Referendum to leave the EU; We would no longer be European Citizens. The Referendum Bill currently going through Parliament specifically excludes most of us living on the continent of Europe
from being able to vote in that Referendum. Large numbers of people (est. one million of which 450,000 are pensioners) fundamentally affected by Britain leaving the EU- that’s
us- will not have a vote!
What can we do about it -- Start by "THE TEN POINTS OF ACTION' http://pensionersdebout.blogspot.com/2013/12/ten-points-for-action.html
The next time ---- 'You and Good Government for Britons
Abroad' Look out for it!
Brian Cave (email@example.com)